Monday, November 27, 2006

The Memory Pill

What if I say that somewhere in the near future, we would be able to get rid all sort of traumatic memory from our mind? As crazy as it may sound, this might indeed be feasible as scientists are now developing the new memory drug called propranolol (Click here to watch a video programme on this) which could weaken our memory on things that we do not want to remember. Most people might find it cool, but it is such a weird and freaky idea to me, not to mention that it is unethical too (lawyers and lawyers wannabe sometimes do concern about ethics!!).

We all learn from our experience, and those experiences, be it the bad or the good one made the person who we are right now. It is my belief that we should never have regrets for all the unpleasant things which have happened in our lives, instead we should learn from it, and bear it in our mind so that we would not repeat the same mistake twice in our lives. If one possesses a belief in God, he or she ought to believe that thing happens for a reason in life, and we should take everything that happens as a lesson to us.I could not agree more on the skeptics of this new memory drug of which one of them argued that our experience in life, no matter traumatic it could be to us, is still a survival mechanism for us.

However, I am speaking on behalf of someone who never had a traumatic experience in life. Those who had a traumatic experience in life (being raped, witnessed to a murder and so forth) would view if differently.As far as I am concerned, I never had any trauma to anything. Surely I had bad experiences, a lot of those, but eventually I bounce back into reality soon after I get over with it.

All I am saying is that we should take life as the way it is. Do have no regrets, but take lesson from it just for our future sake. Sometimes I do wish that I have chosen a different path in life. But then again, there is no way that I can tell that even if I chose to do it differently, I would have led a better life, can I? So, I take my life as the way it is.God certainly has His own plan for me and also to all of us.

___________________________________________________________________

On a different note, winter break will start in less than two weeks time. Ha Ha. I really cannot wait for that. Law school is really driving me nuts. Jeez, I think I am balding faster than anyone else at my age, and my body is aching all over the place.Ha Ha. I long for a break, for a vacation......

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how is it that this pill is unethical?

and where r u goin this time?

November 29, 2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger faisal said...

oMg
i forgot to elaborate more on that did i?
haha
i shall do that later
basically the idea behind the ethical reason is that the pill will somehow go against the nature, we should just let the human brain/mind flows on its own without any interruption.


and secondly, this memory pill might then prone to be misused by those greedy pharmaceutical industrialists in gaining more revenues. This would the whole society in a great risk, where according to critique, if this pill is being sold just like other pills available in the current market, everyone would have the tendency to buy and to use it even for the most trivial matters; when one just got dumped by his/her partner, when one did something embarassing when he/she was drunk and etc. for me, that is so wrong, we should bear with the pain, and the try to get over it, not by avoiding it, or try to erase it from our minds. do you get of what i am trying to say adam? i am in a hurry now, but i shall explain more if u want to.hehe.

anyway, i might be going to spain and portugal for the new year celebration,hehe.and i might also take up part time job with my previous employer at the Warwick Hospitality.=)

November 29, 2006 8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha... agak betulla usin pill unethical... aku pun x suka guna pill nie... paracetamol pun x suka... tapi t'paksa gak makan... t'paksa sbb dah teruk sgt...

actually medically usin drug isn't great at all... it is useful but the side effects... ask others yg dah blaja jauh dari aku... zack, zaid, ariff, im, hakim... saper lagi ekkk gang2 medic nie... ahas... fir... and so on so for...

givin insulin as example... for those wit diabetes... by admittin insulin to our body it will send sign to our body that we got adequate insulin in our system which later cause our body to decrease our own insulin production... these is a negative feedback regulation... aisey... penat study medic... jap gi kena bukak buku physio... wargh... nak giler next 2 weeks exams berlambak2 cam durian kat tepi jalan... arghh... bye...

November 30, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Farahz said...

hey ya! this entry gave me some time to ponder. at one point of time, we wish we are someone else, doing not what we do now.. but when reality hit us, we end up saying hey this is my life.this is what God has planned for us. there must be reasons behind it.

so faisal, how about striking down the "i wish i had..." and replacing it with " i am glad i had.." u may feel better this way.

December 04, 2006 12:59 AM  
Blogger faisal said...

farahz, we think alike. i do think and feel that way most of the times. but at the very end of the day, i would just accept whatever happens in life and take it as what it is.

dont try to change our past, but instead work for a better future
=)

hehe

December 05, 2006 5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so right about everything that u have said. couldnt agree more. we shall not regret the past, but we should take it as a lesson for us to be a better person in the future.

December 06, 2006 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude sorry for my long silence from d internet world- just droppin by to wish u happy birthday! lemme be d first to wish u before dis 17th dec ;)

- irzan

December 15, 2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Adam Ahmad said...

wei...sile la update blog!

February 12, 2007 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home